How to obtain your director ID number

Financial Advice


How to obtain your director ID number

Recent statistics from the ATO revealed that only 900,000 of an estimated population of 2.5 million Australians affected have successfully obtained their director ID number.

The Scheme administered by the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) requires all directors of businesses registered with Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) to register for an identity number online.  The scheme is designed to prevent fraud, or phoenixing and improve traceability of director’s relationships across companies.

While for many tech savvy directors, the process of applying for a director ID number was quick and painless. We note that a number of our elderly members and non-Australian temporary residents have struggled obtaining such. The biggest hurdle is that directors need to apply personally and cannot delegate this task to their accountant or adviser.

To apply online you will require:

  1. A smartphone that has the myGovID app installed (note this is different to MyGov);
  2. Two Australian identity documents such as passport or drivers’ license or Medicare card;
  3. Personal information that the ATO knows about you, such as bank account details or a prior year notice of assessment.

A video guide from start to finish has been published on the ATO website a link is included below.

VIDEO - How to apply for a director ID

If you don't have a smartphone, you can apply for a director ID number over the phone by calling 13 62 50.

When calling ensure you have the following information at hand.

One primary document:

  • Your tax file number
  • Your residential address as held by the ATO
  • Answers to 2 questions based on details they know about you
  • A primary document (Australian Full Birth Certificate, Australian Passport, Australian Citizenship certificate
  • Foreign passport

One secondary document:

  • Medicare card
  • Australian drivers’ licence or learners’ permit

If you have changed your name, you must provide a marriage certificate, deed poll or change of name certificate.